KBank2: A Bank of 19 User Setups for the PC3K Series

Place to put ksetlist volumes and compilations of objects.

Re: KBank2: A Bank of 19 User Setups for the PC3K Series

Postby Kurzhead » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:00 pm

I spend my vacation mornings with my PC3K too. I really hope you find at least one KBank setup that you like. I have lots of other KBanks I could upload to the KSetlist if there’s interest.
I’m also hankering after a PC4.
All the best,
Kurzhead
SP4 Advocate
Kurzhead
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby cecchino » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:46 pm

OK, I had a chance to try both banks...
As I probably wrote after trying those for SP4 your setups sound fine, but as my current activity is playing with four different cover bands I need to fill my keyboards with setups matching their playlists.
They're often complex setups, especially when prog rock comes in.
Anyway, as I have much more locations on my PC3 than I had on SP4, I will keep some of them which I found very inspiring, Mirrors and Pulsotron above others.
Thank you for sharing ;)
cecchino
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby billbk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Hey, I just tried out both of your banks. Some very excellent combinations that I never would have thought of that give new life to to some of the old sounds. Great job (please keep'em coming). The only thing I'd change (which granted only takes a second) is to activate slider I so the reverb control is active.
Thanks
billbk
Pub parrot
Pub parrot

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Kurzhead » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback and for the tip on activating Slider I for reverb. I think I should be able to work out how to do that from the Musician’s Guide ..... otherwise I’ll come back to beg for some instruction. All the best, Kurzhead
SP4 Advocate
Kurzhead
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby billbk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:34 pm

1. You need to decide if you want to add/control the reverb for every zone within your setup (you may want to NOT have any reverb on a certain zone, even when you have a lot on another).
2. Slider I is set up to control reverb as standard, so it's usually just a matter of activating that slider for the chosen zones.
3. If slider I is already controlling another function on a zone, say the amount of vibrato, you may either want to reassign that function to another slider, or not have reverb on that zone.
4. For the chosen zones: Edit / Go to Slider 2 page / Go down to SlideI / While holding down the Enter button, move slider I. That will make Slider I control Slider I function (reverb).
5. Always good housekeeping to assign Ent and Exit values (so carry over info doesn't corrupt your next setup). Set Ent for 0, Exit for 127.
billbk
Pub parrot
Pub parrot

Postby Kurzhead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for tip on slider I for reverb. This is great - I’m learning new programming tidbits. I was actually wondering why slider I wasn’t effecting reverb on my Setups - now I know to go to the SLID2 page per 7-33 of the Musician’s Guide (MG) for PC3K.
A couple of questions/thoughts:
It seems that (per MG page 7-30) a Program used in a Setup may already have a Slider I controller entry value. So if the same entry value is Ok for the corresponding zone in the Setup then using an entry value of “None” in the setup’s relevant zone is OK (the program’s existing entry value will be used for the Setup).
I’m leaning towards using an exit value of Zero for Slider I / reverb in Setups Are there any housekeeping disadvantages to this?
Per 11-2 of the MG (SetupCtls in Master Mode) a choice can be between Instant and PassEntry to influence how controllers relate to Entry values in Setup Mode. PassEntry seems like a good option to avoid sudden jumps, but I would be interested to hear folks’ preferences/recommendations on the use of the SetupCtls parameter.

I’m also struggling with a fundamental question related to the following:
In Setup editor, I go to the SLID2 page and set MIDI28 for SLIDI in order to control reverb via Slider I. My question is, how do you tell if “MIDI 28” will influence Reverb as opposed to any other type of effect? Is MIDI 28 somehow hard-wired to reverb ? And which Reverb effect does it use ..... there are many different Reverb effects on board the PC3K??

Apologies if some of the questions are rather fundamental for experienced users. Hopefully there are other students of PC3K out there for whom answers to the above will be useful.

FYI, I uploaded another bank of 19 Setups for PC3K (KBank3) to the Compilations/Volumes area of the site. Pls audition and let me know if you like any of ‘em.
Thanks
Kurzhead
SP4 Advocate
Kurzhead
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby voodoo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Will they load into a PC3 LE ?

(Im presuming they will as , from what Ive read the PC3k and LE will share sounds)
eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk
voodoo
Disco dog
Disco dog

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Kurzhead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 pm

I’m not sure if the PC3K setups in the KBanks files will load successfully into an LE? I will need to defer to more expert users on that question. The KBank Setups are based on factory programs and effects, so they might work if the file format is accommodated by the LE?? If I get some free time over the holiday period I’ll try to manually program some of the KBank Setups into my LE7 (“LEBank Setups” !), save and post to KSetlist.
Kurzhead
SP4 Advocate
Kurzhead
Disco dog
Disco dog

Postby billbk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 am

Posting again since my last post disappeared. Here's what Jean B at Kurzweil support says about Exit values:
Entry values are those sent when you select a setup. Exit values are those sent when you leave a setup (i.e. navigate away from).

The key to understanding what is happening is to fully realize how MIDI messages work in general (not a Kurz thing but MIDI itself). One truth of particular relevance here is channel messages will stay in place until a new message of that same type comes along to change things.

So for ex. if something (internal or external) sets the MIDI volume (cc7) on a channel to 0, then that channel will stay at 0 indefinitely until a new cc7 message comes along and changes that state (or you power cycle). Same applies to ALL MIDI cc's.

Entry/Exit values are our way of giving you completely control over these messages, per channel, as you move from one Setup to another.

So imaging during performance using a CCpedal assigned to cc7 on Zone1/Ch1 of a given Setup. And for argument sake, let's say you fade out that pedal at the end of a song then switch Setups. If the Setup you are leaving has no Exit value for cc7 to raise the volume back to a desired level OR if the Setup you navigate TO does not have an Entry doing the same, then the cc7 value remains at zero, until something else happens to change it (like moving the pedal or pressing Panic for ex).

So in general I would suggest programming things in the following manner:

1) ALWAYS set an EntryVolume level in all zones, all Setups in use. This will solve 90% of most level setting issues. Not doing this leaves the 'mix' of each setup up to chance. Far better to take command of the whole mix and set desired levels as starting points (aka entry values).

2) as a precaution, I also suggest setting the ExitVolume to 127. This step is superfluous if one follows rule#1 above religiously BUT even following the above leaves open one caveat, which is exiting back to Program mode. Program mode has no entry values for volume, so rule#2 is a "safety net" of sorts so that when you fade that pedal out on some song, and then jump to Program mode, you are not left with unexpected silence and forced to 'panic'.
billbk
Pub parrot
Pub parrot

Postby billbk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 am

I’m also struggling with a fundamental question related to the following:
In Setup editor, I go to the SLID2 page and set MIDI28 for SLIDI in order to control reverb via Slider I. My question is, how do you tell if “MIDI 28” will influence Reverb as opposed to any other type of effect? Is MIDI 28 somehow hard-wired to reverb ? And which Reverb effect does it use ..... there are many different Reverb effects on board the PC3K??

Good question. I think slider I is set internally (programmed into the "Control Setup") for reverb. I'd also think the reverb is what is listed in the FX page. You could send Jean at Kurweilsupport the question too.
billbk
Pub parrot
Pub parrot

Previous

Return to ksetlist.com Compilations/Volumes